Friday, April 22, 2011

Learning is Not Just Memorizing

One particular part of a story about the teaching experience of a graduate student in math at Dartmouth College in the fall of 1996 resonated with me. It articulated something that I had only an intuitive but often a skeptical understanding of; when you learn something as opposed to simply memorizing a pattern or algorithm, you don’t need to study it again to remember what you learned.

Teaching linear Algebra:

…I was lucky enough to talk to some of my students about the experience a few months later. The general consensus was that the material really stuck. Furthermore nobody studied for the final. No joke. As one girl said, “I tried studying because I thought I should, but I gave up after a half-hour because I already knew it all.” That is how I think it should be – if you study properly through the course, then you won’t need to study for the final. Because you’ve already learned it. And you’ll have a leg up on the next course because you still remember the material that everyone else has forgotten.

Sometimes, even a decade after I’ve last thought about an obscure topic, I’ll recall everything I’ve read about it including arcane details and problems I’ve work out and the reasoning that brought me to conclusions.

Posted via email from Glodime @ Posterous

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Glodime Thought Nuggets authored by Eric Morey is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.